Thursday, December 07, 2006

OJOS nuevos: clase número ocho


Class number eight of OJOS nuevos actually became class number eight, nine, and ten, as we met to prepare for our exposition. Working around the hogar's schedule and my VE schedule (simultaneously preparing for our VEChile event-- another entry) meant that sometimes it was better to meet with my girls one on one to help them with their responsiblities: learning the basics of poster design on the computer, how to write a persuasive invitation, etc. As always, I wish I could have had even more time with my girls as one hour does not seem sufficient; but one hour is much better than nothing, and I'm still pleased that I could at least introduce them to the topics. This invitation, designed by one of my students, is the first time that she has been able to use a more complicated computer program than Microsoft Word. It took us a long time to do it, but we had a lot of fun. Unfortunately we had to use my personal laptop to design it, and Photoshop is in English. Although she likes to dismiss compliments, I could see that she was proud of her work and asked me many times to whom I was going to send it. I wish we could get a computer that could handle Photoshop-- in spanish-- for them to use all the time. I don't like having them rely on me and my computer to have more exposure to more reliable- and exciting- technology.


Here is the poster that the Universidad ARCIS designed for the upcoming show using some of the photographs that will be in the exposition. The show will begin with a small presentation followed by juice and cookies in the gallery space. We have chosen 8 photographs from each of the 6 girls as well as a portrait of each student.

What: OJOS nuevos Photography Exhibition
Where: Universidad ARCIS, 53 Libertad, Metro ULA
When: Monday, December 11, 2006 at 7-9pm

No comments: